Current UK Population
Follow us on Twitter @agediscriminfo
Current UK population in a nutshell...
Current UK population 2014
Figures will be updated here when they are released.
Current UK population 2013 (updated December 2013 using statistics for mid 2012)
The population of the UK was estimated to be 63.7m.
This comprises 53.5m in England, 5.3m in Scotland, 3.1m in Wales and 1.8m in Northern Ireland.
In the UK there were 813,200 births and 558,800 deaths occurring in the year to 30 June 2012. This is the largest number of births seen since the year to mid-1972.
The population of the UK aged 65 and over was 10.8 million (17% of the UK population) in mid-2012.
The estimated flow of international migrants to the UK in the year to 30 June 2012 was 517,800 and estimated outflow for the same period was 352,100. This means that UK net migration was 165,600 in the year to mid-2012.
The population increase of the UK in the year to 30 June 2012 was caused by there being 254,400 more births than deaths (61% of the increase) and 165,600 more international migrants arriving than emigrants leaving (39% of the increase).
The mid-2012 population of the UK ranks third, behind Germany and France when compared to other member states of the European Union.
The absolute increase in population of the UK was greater than that of any other European Union member state during the 12 months to 30 June 2012.
Current UK population 2012 (England and Wales only, updated July 2012 using statistics from the census)
The England and Wales population on census night in March 2011 was 56.1 million (53 million in England and 3.1 million in Wales). This is the largest the population has ever been. Statistics for the whole of the UK will be published when other census offices have published their data.
This is a 7.1 per cent increase since 2010 - the largest growth since the first census in 1801.
In 2011, the percentage of thepopulation aged 65 and over in each region, excluding London, ranged from 16.6 to 19.6 per cent, and had increased in all of these regions. London showed a decrease in the percentage of people aged 65 and over in the same 10-year period.
Current UK population 2011 (updated October 2011 using statistics for mid 2010, source: www.statistics.gov.uk)
Tweet the current UK population via @agediscriminfo
Further details are available in the ONS publication available here. The complete source data used in the ONs publication is available here.
Current UK population 2010 (updated April 2010 using statistics for mid 2009, source: www.statistics.gov.uk)
Current Uk population 2009 (updated January 2010 using statistics for 2002 to 2008, source: www.statistics.gov.uk)
Updated April 2006 (source: www.statistics.gov.uk)
- Over 20 million of the population are aged 50 years and over.
- More than a million people are aged 85 or over.
- More than 11 million are over retirement age (65 for men and 60 for women). This is 18.5% of the total UK population.
- Women over 90 outnumber men by about three to one.
- Between 2003 and 2004, the over 80s accounted for over 10% of the increase in the total population.
- The biggest contribution to this increase was amongst men in their 80s and women in their 90s.